6 Tips for Safe and Effective Gutter Cleaning
Did you know that clogged gutters are the number one cause of basement water problems? When Cincinnati gutters become clogged, roof water will overflow and accumulate around the foundation of the home, leading to moisture collecting in the basement. When moisture enters the home, it introduces the potential for mold. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the presence of any type of mold are possible health risks, ranging from minor to severe, and may even be fatal in some rare cases.
To avoid this dangerous occurrence, make sure downspout extensions are directed at least 1.8 meters (approximately six feet) away from your home’s foundation. It is safe to direct them towards the road, backyard, or back lane.
Below you will find some additional tips for safely and effectively cleaning and maintaining gutters.
2. Wear rubber shoes: If you need to walk on the roof to perform cleaning and maintenance tasks, it is best to use rubber soles, which tend to adhere best and prevent slip-and-fall accidents.
3. Wear gloves: It is essential that you keep your skin protected during the cleaning process. Dirty water and rotting leaf debris can often contain animal droppings that are contaminated with bacteria. Gloves may also protect your hands from sharp metal edges of an old gutter. The best gloves are made of thick suede, as the material offers better protection and durability in comparison to cotton, leather, and rubber.
4. Protect your eyes: You never know what could come flying out of a downspout while you are cleaning. Always make sure your eyes are thoroughly protected.
5. Use a gutter scoop: A gutter scoop is an extremely useful tool for removing debris from gutters. It can be found at most hardware stores. Plastic scoops are very thin and form themselves to the bottom of the gutter trough to make the task much easier.
6. Call a gutter repair service: If you notice any damage or a particularly bad clog, call a repair service to do a more thorough analysis of your gutter system. A professional will be able to diagnose the problem and conduct any repairs necessary.
Be very careful when cleaning, fixing, power washing and even inspecting gutters. If you have any additional tips, tricks, and suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.
20 Responses to “6 Tips for Safe and Effective Gutter Cleaning”
Leave a Reply
- Get Your Mind in the Gutter: Understanding Your...
- Don’t Let Your Home Go down the Gutter: ...
- Everyone has driven through a Columbus neighbor...
- If you walk onto a business property and the si...
- Although time-consuming, keeping your home look...